Monday, April 4, 2011

Visit to the local library

We took a walk to the Hispanic Branch of the library to see the current exhibition there by artist Angela Valella, which includes large paper photographs and an overhead projection. We all wrote down some quick comments to offer as feedback for the artist. The comments are included below.





"At first I only saw images that I did not understand. However, the way you chose to arrange and express the images appears to have some sort of deeper meaning. I have always liked the emphasis in differences between light and dark, destruction and creation, life and death. The photos in black and white manage to do that in a way that seems unreal. 'Through destruction there can be creation.' That is the message produced and expressed through the images. Many of the people in the group appear to have different ways of interpreting this particular piece. However, they all seem to like it and I enjoyed it."

"One of the pictures that interests me was the one with Miami city, even though they are of Miami, but when I see this picture I see clouds but I also see a valley behind it, a place that was beautiful but still is becoming something else... but the history and beauty will live on no matter how it changes."

"I truly love that one picture that looks like a building in space. It's truly lovely. Another one I like is that one picture of Miami. The city looks covered in snow with dark clouds crowding the sky. I really like that one. If I could, I would love to hang it in my room and just stare at it forever."

"Construct, destruct, construct, destruct, construct, destruct, construct."

"Modern, Zoom, Focus, Editing, Original, Segmented, Effects, Stadium, Twilight, Neighborhood"

"Zoom, Focus, Photoshop, Editing, Nikon, Hipster, New, Tiles, Mechanical, Urban, Stars"

"Development, ruins, planets, access, time actual and fiction, layers of technological information, projections. What you are telling is very real and well-placed in this library."

"I love the overhead projection. It seems to fill in the blanks raised by the photographic images."

1 comment:

  1. This is great. We at the Library are thrilled you visited the show and had such interesting things to say about it.

    ReplyDelete